Tuesday, January 4, 2011

1 Year, 30 Months, and 30 Weeks

1 Year
Well, let me just say that I can't believe a WHOLE YEAR has passed and I haven't uploaded one picture. Seeing that I joined the facebook revolution in the past year I think blogging took a bit of a hit. Lets just say this has been quite a year and I am realizing that blogging was the best way for me to document milestones and major events. Maybe I will actually keep this blog maintained in 2011 and beyond. Maybe.

30 Months
I actually stopped counting Jude's age in months quite awhile ago, but it seemed fitting for this title, so I'm going with it. I can't believe he is 2 1/2! He is rapidly growing out of all things "baby" and is for the most part a "big kid." I think our only link to babyhood is diapers, which we are planning an all out potty training session within the next few weeks - I'll keep you posted (maybe). Let me just update on a few major events (remember this is mostly for my benefit so feel free to skip the stroll down memory lane). Before we begin, let me just say that 2's have been AWESOME.
  • Eating: Jude is still not too interested in eating - weird, huh? He typically eats a good breakfast, nibbles around at lunch, and maybe eats a good dinner. For this reason, we have done the unthinkable: we play movies on an ipod while he eats. I'm not kidding, he has very little interest in sitting to eat a meal - we must keep this boy distracted to keep his belly full. Oh well, whatever works!
  • Sleeping: Since last February, Jude has been sleeping like a rock star. Up until that point he would join us in bed in the middle of the night - not the best sleeping for anyone. He now goes to bed around 9 and will sleep until 9 or 10, or sometimes later. This is a very flexible bedtime and he has been known to keep some pretty late hours on the weekend. He will still occasionally take a nap, but this is by no means a daily routine. We have found that nap time for Jude usually means a bedtime of 11 pm or later.
  • Talking/Communication: Well Jude may cause us some concerns and struggles with his eating, but his verbal skills are unbelievable. At 2 1/2 he is carrying on conversations, answering in complete sentences, and pretty accurate with grammer - kinda strange but kinda awesome. He will repeat everything, I mean EVERYTHING. To the point where we are all a little confused until we see the movie, commercial, etc that has his interest at the time. Maybe a little too much tv, but at this time it appears to actually be working for us (see eating bullet above). He is a very smart little boy, very observant, and a total joy. I know I have more on this subject, but I just can't seem to recall everything. He sees a babysitter 2x/month that speaks Japanese and he is picking up new words everytime they see each other. He loves books and loves to be read to and can pretty well recite most of his favorites with a little prompting. Lets just say he amazes me daily with this skill.
  • Potty Training: Pretty sure he is ready, I just need to bite the bullet and put forth the effort.
  • Likes: Currently, Jude loves Toy Story, Cars, Thomas the Train. His love for basketball is still alive and well - this year for Christmas he received new basketball shoes (KD 3's), and 3 basketball jerseys. He wears a basketball jersey nearly everyday. He still enjoys playing basketball, and is currently working on slam dunks and jump shots - he's got skillz. Like father, like son. He is also really enjoying social time/playing with other kids
  • Dislikes: Not much. He is a very easy going, yet energetic little guy that loves to do and be with people he loves. He is least happy when left with strangers - so we keep that to a minimum :).
  • Heart Murmur: We returned to the pediatric cardiologist in early December for Jude's check up (he was born with a VSD). Thankfully, all the holes have closed and all is well. No further follow up is necessary - prayers were answered!
30 Weeks
In case you haven't heard, we are expecting #2 in March. This time we will welcome a baby girl, and we are beyond excited. As I am approaching the end of this pregnancy the crazy dreams are beginning. The last dream was that they changed their minds and decided we are welcoming a boy, not a girl. We discover this after decorating a nursery and stocking a closet with dresses and bows. I'm pretty sure its still a girl, but I guess we won't know officially for a couple more months.
We feel very blessed to be expecting this baby as I had an ectopic pregnancy in Feb 2010. It was a pretty traumatic event and kinda shook us to the core and left us a little concerned about future pregnancies. However, after sharing the news with our family, my mom told me that about 2 -3 weeks before we knew we were pregnant, she and Jude were throwing pennies in a fountain and wishing for a baby sister - "be careful what you wish for; wishful thinking; answered prayers." Whatever it is, we are truly thankful and so excited to meet this little girl and welcome her to our home. Also, thanks to all our friends and family for the prayers and support during those tough months.

Scott
Well, I don't really have any catchy title for this - unless I include that this is the year he turns 30 :). Scott continues to be an awesome husband and an amazing father. As Jude gets older, I am realizing just how similar their personalities are. Its kinda freaky, but really cool. He and Jude definitely make the most of their time together. Scott is the primary bath giver and has become something that Jude not only enjoys, but expects.

Seeing as this post has turned into an extremely long post I will add pictures in a separate post.

No comments: